What you can do to strengthen your immunity against viral infections
Posted on March 27 2020
What You Can Do To Strengthen Your Immunity Against Viral Infections
The coronavirus pandemic has started affecting the daily lives of most South Africans. By now we are all aware of the basic measures that we should all use to help curb the spread of this virus. These include regular hand washing, covering your cough, avoiding touching of the face, and staying at home as much as possible.
But what can you do to boost your resistance against infection? There are several key lifestyle habits and supplements that can strengthen your immune system and reduce your susceptibility to viral infections. We will cover the lifestyle recommendations first, and then we will look at specific herbal formulations and ingredients.
1. Clean, healthy diet:
- Eat as clean and fresh as possible. Eat from the fresh isle.
- Abundant fresh fruit – these will give abundant nutrients like vitamin C.
- Fresh vegetables (esp. leafy greens)
- Fresh proteins
- Alkaline-forming foods and alkaline water – high alkalinity improves immunity and reduces the environment for viral replication
- Add some fresh lemon to your drinking water for an alkaline and vitamin C boost
2. Eliminate foods that suppress immunity and feed viral replication
- NO Wheat
- NO Sugar – from sweets and all other sources
- NO Bad fats (no hydrogenated fats in processed foods, no fried foods, no pork, prawns)
3. Healthy lifestyle
- Avoid alcohol
- Get sufficient sleep and rest
- Exercise for at least 20 minutes per day – any type that gets your heart rate within the exercise target range. For an average 30-35-year-old healthy adult this is 120 beats per minute. This improves oxygenation and boosts immunity.
- Have naps
- Read a book
- Have a digital detox
- Still the mind – meditation has been proven to boost immunity and lower stress hormones that suppress immunity
- Take Epsom salts and bicarb baths regularly to alkalinise and oxygenate
- Add lemon to your drinking water
4. Boost innate immunity
Eat these immune-boosting foods every day:
- Selenium-rich foods: Brazil nuts, fish & seafood, brown rice, lentils. Most soils are extremely low in selenium, which is a critical nutrient for white blood cell production and response to viral infections.
- Zinc-rich foods: Pumpkin seeds, canned oysters (and other shellfish), legumes, seeds, eggs. Zinc deficiency is extremely prevalent, with more than 80% of the population believed to be chronically and heavily depleted in this vital mineral. Zinc is the most crucial mineral for antibody production and immune support against viral infections.
Take these immune-boosting nutrients:
- Vitamin C (Ester C)
- Probiotics (NeoFlora)
- Glutathione (Glutathione-500)
- Vitamin D3 (Vit D3 patches)
- Vitamin B12 (Vit B12 patches)
- Fulvic- and Humic acids (NeoFlora or HumiCaps)
- Echinacea (Immucil)
- Cats Claw (Immucil)
- Astragalus (Immucil)
- Sutherlandia (Immucil or Pure Sutherlandia caps)
- Zinc (chelated form)
- Selenium (chelated form)
Get the Neogenesis Immune Booster Pack with a 15% discount: Click on the discount code to be directed to a pre-loaded cart: IMMUNE15
1. Vitamin C
2. Probiotics (NeoFlora)
3. Vitamin B12
4. Vitamin D3
5. Glutathione (Glutathione-500)
6. Humic- and Fulvic acid (HumiCaps)
7. Immune-boosting antiviral herbs (Immucil: 20 drops 2xdaily)
5. Stock up on botanical antivirals for acute infections
1. PELARGONIUM SIDOIDES
2. ARTEMISIA ANNUA
- An adaptogen that modulates the immune system and helps the body adapt to and cope with stressors
- Support for colds and flu
- Antiviral that manages wasting and improves appetite
- Contains high levels of the brain neurochemical GABA that helps improve anxiety, stress, and depression
- A tonic herb with proven antiviral properties
- Helps with chronic fatigue
4. OLIVE LEAF
5. BLACK CUMIN SEED
A favourite protocol that pretty much covers all of the above herbs and supplements is as follows:
- High dose vitamin C: Ester C (Solgar) 1 gram every 3 hours.
- Flugo (Neogenesis Health) 2 capsules 3-4x daily
- Lamaria (Neogenesis Health) higher doses 2capsules 3x daily of the regular Lamaria, or 20 drops every 3 hours of the Lamaria tincture, or 1 cap 3x daily of Lamaria 6X for higher fever and intense infections.
- Black Cumin Seed (Neogenesis Health) 1 cap 3xday
- Pure Sutherlandia (Neogenesis Health) 1 cap 3xday
- Immucil (Neogenesis Health) 20 drops every 3 hours
- Olive Leaf (Neogenesis Health) 1 cap 3-4xdaily